Changing your habits is HARD– it’s hard to change what you eat, to make time for regular exercise, and to prioritize your well-being. But it’s absolutely worth it!
So many patients with infertility tell me they feel powerless and hopeless. I want to empower you to believe that there are some things that you can do to boost your fertility. And it starts with taking care of yourself.
Your weight is very important for your health and your fertility. So important that we have discussed it here, here, here, and even here. It’s a recurring topic on the blog because it’s important and it is, unlikely your age, something that you can change.
A study was recently published that the hard work that is needed to lose weight is worth it. Women who consumed fewer calories and started exercising were much more likely to lose weight, ovulate on their own, and get pregnant compared to people who didn’t make these changes. A combination of fewer calories by reducing fat and refined carbohydrate intake, and increased aerobic exercise is the cornerstone of healthy weight loss.
What you can do
- Do something, ANYTHING for exercise 30 minutes, 5 days a week.
- Consider using a fitness tracker or pedometer like FitBit
- Schedule your workouts when nothing will interrupt your session. Make your fitness a priority.
- Take a closer look at your diet and what you can cut out easily. Consider an app like MyFitnessPal.
- Start by eliminating refined carbohydrates found in juices, sodas, and sweets
- Don’t get discouraged. Any step is a step in the right direction.
- Talk to your doctor for more information about local support groups and fitness programs in your area.